Keeping your kitchen appliances clean is essential to maintaining their longevity, and let’s face it, no one wants to deal with a dirty microwave. It’s one of the most frequently used appliances in the kitchen, and it’s also the most susceptible to tough messes and spills. But don’t worry, cleaning your microwave doesn’t have to be a hassle. We’ve compiled some of the best microwave cleaning hacks that you can use at home to make this task quicker and easier.
Best Microwave Cleaning Hacks for Tough Messes
As homeowners, you want to know how to keep your microwave clean and free of stubborn stains and odors. When it comes to cleaning supplies, you probably have most of them already in your kitchen.
Vinegar and Water: Grease and food splatter
Baking Soda: Sticky spills and sauces
Lemon and Water: Burned-on food and foul odors
Microwave Cleaning Hacks with Vinegar
Cleaning your microwave with vinegar is an easy and effective way to remove tough messes and stains. Here are the step-by-step instructions to clean your microwave with vinegar:
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a microwave-safe bowl. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice for a fresh scent.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 5 minutes. The steam from the mixture will help loosen any food splatters or stains.
- Once the time is up, let the bowl sit in the microwave for a few minutes to cool down. The steam will continue to work its magic during this time.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave, making sure to use oven mitts as it will be hot.
- Wipe the interior of the microwave with a damp cloth. The messes and stains should come off easily now.
- For stubborn spots, dip a cloth into the vinegar and water mixture and use it to scrub the affected area.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning, rinse the cloth with water and wipe the interior of the microwave again to remove any remaining vinegar residue.
- Discard the vinegar and water mixture and wash the bowl.
By following these simple steps, your microwave will be clean and fresh-smelling in no time. Remember to clean your microwave regularly to maintain its cleanliness and hygiene.
Loosen Tough Stains & Eliminate Odor with Lemon
Cleaning your microwave with lemons is a natural and effective way to remove tough stains and odors. Lemons are a natural cleaning agent that can eliminate odors and loosen tough stains. The citric acid in lemons is an effective natural cleaner that can help remove stains and buildup, and the fresh scent of lemons can help neutralize any unwanted odors. By using lemons to clean your microwave, you can avoid using harsh chemicals and still achieve a clean and fresh-smelling appliance.
Here’s how to do it:
Step 1. Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a microwave-safe bowl of water. Drop the lemon halves into the bowl.
Step 2. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it for 5 minutes. The steam from the lemon and water mixture will help loosen any food splatters or stains and neutralize any unwanted odors.
Step 3. Once the time is up, let the bowl sit in the microwave for a few minutes to cool down. The steam will continue to work its magic during this time.
Step 4. Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave, making sure to use oven mitts as it will be hot.
Step 5. Wipe the interior of the microwave with a damp cloth. The messes and stains should come off easily now.
Step 6. For stubborn spots, dip a cloth into the lemon and water mixture and use it to scrub the affected area.
Step 7. Once you’ve finished cleaning, rinse the cloth with water and wipe the interior of the microwave again to remove any remaining lemon residue.
Step 8. Discard the lemon and water mixture and wash the bowl.
How to Clean Different Messes
Grease and food splatter
To clean grease and food splatter, mix equal parts vinegar and water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 5 minutes. The steam will help loosen the mess, making it easier to wipe away.
Sticky Spills and Sauces
For sticky spills, sprinkle baking soda on the spill and add a little water. After letting it sit for a few minutes, wipe it away with a damp cloth.
If you’re dealing with burned-on food, cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice into a bowl of water, put the halves in the bowl, microwave for 5 minutes, and then wipe away the food with a damp cloth.
Odors and Smells
And if you want to neutralize any odors, mix a few drops of lemon juice with water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for a few minutes. The lemon will help freshen up the microwave and eliminate any unwanted smells.
Maintenance Hacks for Keeping a Clean Microwave
To keep your microwave clean and hygienic, we suggest following some easy maintenance hacks.
- Cover food: Prevent spills and splatters by covering your food when microwaving.
- Wipe it down: Wipe the interior after each use to prevent food buildup and stains.
- Clean your microwave regularly at least once a week to maintain its cleanliness and hygiene.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as well as harsh chemicals like bleach or ammonia, as they can damage the microwave’s interior.
We hope these easy microwave cleaning hacks have been useful! If you have questions or experience issues with your microwave, contact the microwave oven repair experts at AlphaTek Appliance Repair today. We look forward to helping you!